View Single Post
Old 06-23-2010, 12:27 AM   #22
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
It's a stretch (more like a farce) to call having control over something an individual created a monopoly.....a monopoly is having dominance over an entire industry, not one product you created yourself.

But you're right, society doesn't owe the author anything--they don't have to buy his book. They don't even have to pay for it to read it as they can check it out from the library, or borrow it from a friend etc.

I'm an individualist. Nobody owes anybody anything. We're all out to maximize pleasure and minimize pain. We just have the government to make sure people don't infringe on others in doing so.

Thus the need for copyright law to make sure others can't take your work and sell it without your permission (to maximize their pleasure) without compensating you for it.

In any case we'll just agree to disagree, and I regret getting into this as I'd been trying to avoid copyright discussions on this thread. I get irate over the topic find the sense of entitlement people have in feeling they have a right to do whatever they please with other people's work/creations thoroughly disgusting.

I think the majority with such views would sing a different song if they were in the situation of making money off of a creation, only to have it stop and switch to having to watch others making money off of it (with them getting no cut) during their lifetime as the copyright expired while they were still alive.

Anyway, agree to disagree, and I'm putting the thread on ignore to resist continuing a pointless debate where neither of us have any respect for the opposing view!
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote