View Single Post
Old 09-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Managed to get through 3/4 of No 1. Ladies Detective Agency (Alexander McCall Smith) pre-anaesthesia yesterday and am loving it. Have the next two in the series already lined up (all published to date are available as ebooks).

When I first saw it on the shelves I thought it sounded a bit 'twee' so didn't even bother reading the back, butI saw the Minghella adaptation at Christmas which was fantastically amazingly brilliant and made me really want to read it; the book is different enough that it doesn't feel boring or repetitive reading it but you can see how the televisation has really kept to the spirit, essence and style of the writing.

Highly, highly recommend.
Both the book and the adaptation, in fact.
I discovered the series before it *was* a series (i.e. just after the first book was published). I really like Mma Ramotse and her gentle approach to her career as a private investigator.

McCall Smith's books show Botswana in a very positive regard, and Mma Ramotse always reflects on her love for her country.

All-in-all, this is a delightful series that I heartily recommend. Now I just need to find out how to get to view the mini-series. I'm hoping PBS (or my local PBS station) will pick it up.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote