View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #15164
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I don't post here about every book I read, but having spent three weeks getting through "A Game of Thrones" by George R. R. Martin I thought I'd share my reaction...

That has to be the longest introduction to a story that I've ever read. The end arrived just as I was thinking the real story was about to start. I was disappointed that the book resolves very little of what it starts, despite its length. I thought I had read that there was supposed to be some sort of surprise or twist at the end, but maybe that comes in a later book.

It wasn't boring, but I found it hard to get involved. I'd just start to get (re)interested in what was happening to a character and the chapter would end, and since it was going to be another hundred pages before I saw that character again (or so it seemed), I'd put the book down to go on with something else.

It is a beautifully crafted story, I can see that, but there was too much distance between the threads for me to care much when GRRM started to get careless with his characters (whoops! there goes another one). I can see how it might work as a TV series, a sort of "Days of our Lives" in a fantasy world.

Are the next books done the same way? Or do they start to get better?
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote