View Single Post
Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Looking at the HTML from the Mobipocket version, it actually starts a new paragraph at "Gate". Checking my paper copy, there should not be a new paragraph there.

This is a definite mistake in the ebook code, and should have been caught in proof reading. I suspect the same fault in also in the other ebook formats.

I have already sent them a note about the missing illustrations and the uneven indents.

It is disappointing that a major release should have such errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
In an earlier post I wrote that HarperCollins had done an excellent job of turning the Hobbit into an ebook.

Now that I am about 2/3 of the way through the book I have changed my mind; it's just a very good job. I have found three occasions in which a sentence has been broken and restarted - for example, early in chapter 11 the text 'where the Front Gate stood...' appears as
'where the Front
Gate stood...'

This may seem a minor quibble, but HarperCollins is a big publisher with high standards. They certainly would not have permitted that to occur in a print book; why should we accept it in an ebook?

When I have finished the book I am going to send them an email complimenting them on their general standards, but pointing out the mistakes and asking them to correct them in future versions and to have the same quality standards in ebooks as they do in print books.

I encourage everyone who finds similar mistakes to email them in a similar way.

Regards, Alex
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote