View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
How do you style the foot/end-note list?
Simple markup with backlink, no lists:

Code:
<div class="footnote" id="note2">

<p><span class="mark">*</span> Son of Azog. See chapter 1.</p>

<div class="backlink">
<a href="Chapter-17.xhtml#note2b">Back</a>
</div>
</div>
Code:
div.footnote {
  margin: 1em 0 1em 0;
  page-break-before: always;
}
div.backlink {
  text-align: center;
  margin: 2em 0 0 0;
}
div.footnote p {
  text-indent: 0;
}
span.mark {
  font-weight: bold;
  margin: 0 1em 0 0;
}
If CSS is unsupported, fallbacks are unpredictable anyway...

Quote:
How do you style the references?
Code:
Bolg<a class="call" href="Notes.xhtml#note2">*</a> of the North is coming
Code:
a.call {
  font-size: 60%;
  vertical-align: text-top;
}
It's sometimes difficult to select with a touchscreen, but my reader let's me select link by using the up/down keys. If footnotes are numbered rather than symbols, I just use the number (no parentheses) instead of the asterisk

Quote:
How do you convert the notes to links?
I add the code using ¬ (or other unusual character) instead of the note number, that makes the code the same for all notes. Then I number the notes with vim, something like:

Code:
: let n=1 | g/¬/s/¬/\=n/g | let n+=1
Quote:
What happens if you include the note itself in the note reference in a TITLE attribute?
As you say, nothing. I don't think it will cause any reader to fail, but the real problem (to me) is that you cannot style the title attribute: no paragraphs, no italics, no links...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote