View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Fictionwise vs. Amazon for Periodicals

I've been considering subscribing to the ebook versions of Analog and Asimov's, but am a bit concerned with Amazon's take on archiving back issues of periodicals.

Since these magazines are the types of things that you might want to re-read or share interesting stories with others I'm a bit concerned with Amazon's policies. If I understand them correctly (purchased from Amazon):
  • The periodical is automatically sent to one of my devices
  • I can read the periodical on that one device, though I can (now) also open it on my Android phone (color might be nice for these periodicals, though I'll still prefer eInk and the larger screen for the actual reading)
  • If I want to keep a past issue I have to save it on my Kindle manually or strip the DRM (never tried it so I don't know how hard it is, not asking for instructions).
  • If, for some reason, I have to (or choose to) replace my device, I can no longer read the manually saved issues
  • 7 issues will be kept in my archive, all past issues are NO LONGER AVAILABLE TO ME

Is my understanding correct?

Alternatively I can buy the periodicals from Fictionwise... the benefits there are that I can get the DRM free MultiFormat version in a richer formatted (I assume) ePub, or even richer formated (I assume) PDF depending on where I'm reading it, which seems to be a big plus.

The drawbacks seem to be that it's more expensive (not much, but a little bit) and, worse, I have to buy each issue individually and download it manually. Does Fictionwise not have a way to subscribe and have the periodical mailed to me each month?

Perhaps I should just give in and buy the paper version, or, cheaper still, be content with the 50 year old issues on PG. :-)

Last edited by twowheels; 06-08-2011 at 10:56 PM.
twowheels is online now   Reply With Quote