View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #25
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
And, as said, creating the anthology is about learning the writing / editing / publishing process; I don't want to end up with 20 short stories tomorrow.
We should think about this not just from our perspective, but also from that of the potential readers.

Arjaybe's offer of a short story or two is a nice gesture, and my initial reaction was that the project could cope with both the efforts of the self-editing 'collective' and the other authors on MobileRead who were more comfortable simply donating stories. After all, MobileRead readers wouldn't necessarily know the background behind the project.

I suspect that from a reader's perspective, the expectation would be that the ebook would simply contain stories by regular MobileRead posters. However, the key there is 'regular' MobileRead posters. Broadening the project to include any story opens the door to the anthology simply being used for self-promotion.

It could also put us in an awkward situation of having to make editorial decisions on whether a particular submission should be included.

So, on balance, I think you're right, Katsunami, that this should be restricted to contributors who are comfortable about the collective reviewing and analysis of the stories.

The alternative would be to do something like set a minimum post count for someone to have their story included if they didn't want to be fully involved.

Incidentally, are there any potential readers watching this thread? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 03-02-2014 at 07:01 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote