View Single Post
Old 10-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #6
Bugs
Bugs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Simond - what do you mean by "a bit of a struggle"? Messy formatting, painfully slow, etc? Thanks for taking the time to try them!

I was worried that the papers might be too comlpex for the readers' little CPUs to deal with. Unfortunately most of my reading for the next year or so will be academic papers (very sad I know, but I'm finishing my PhD so it can't be helped!) so it isn't really worth buying a device that can only handle novels.

pilotbob & bbusybookworm: I looked at the Iliad Book Edition in Borders, although I didn't get to try loading any academic papers onto it. It looks almost perfect for what I want, but I don't think I can justify spending £400 -- more than my laptop cost -- on something that I can only use to read papers. A tablet PC is a good idea, but I spend hours reading every day so I really want an eInk screen.

daffy4u: Nah, they're not as bad as they look. They're not that complicated, they just has a lot of information packed into as little space as possible to save publishing costs. Also, one of them is about a protein called "Magic Factor 1", which I think is an awesome name. I just hope I can stick around the forum long enough to set my user title to "Exploder of Heads"!

Does anyone know of any good way to automatically strip the text and images from a .pdf into a format that a 6-inch reader can handle fairly easily? The layout of the papers isn't really important provided that all the information is still there.
Bugs is offline   Reply With Quote