View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 PM   #12
bobobo1618
Lord of Ponies
bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.bobobo1618 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Has anyone who has replaced the internal SD card with a larger one done a factory reset? If so, what happened?
This is pure speculation but going off the presence of the recovery partition, I'm guessing it'll copy that to the system partition and do a quick format of the main data partition (but hopefully leave the partition table (resized partition) intact).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Could I ask those of you who upgrade your internal SD card, what type of card you used (brand/size/class) and whether it had any effect on the speed or stability of the reader?

I gather from some other sites that class 2 or 4 cards are often best for hosting the operating system (i.e. Kobo's internal card), while class 6 or class 10 cards are better for large data files (Kobo's external card perhaps?)

I also heard that not all types of card work well with Kobo readers, so it might be useful for those of us contemplating an upgrade to know which cards to avoid.
Speed is mainly an issue with the screen and CPU. The SD card won't be a bottleneck so won't really change anything unless possibly if you have huge books in which case a class 10 should go faster. Also booting up may go faster with a class 10 but I didn't really notice a huge difference.

By the way, Class 10 doesn't mean much. It should generally be faster than a lower class card but not in all cases. For example, a really good Class 6 can beat a really bad Class 10 in many areas.

As for stability, it mainly depends on the manufacturer from my experience but generally it doesn't matter.

Really, just avoid cheap, no-name brands or anything bought from Chinese eBay sites or anything like that. Genuine cards from SanDisk and Patriot at least should be fine. Especially SanDisk (they're the ones who manufacture the internal SD in the first place).

Oh and I'm not sure where the idea that a lower class card should be used for the system card came from. Can you give me a link and/or the reasoning they used? I can't think of any good reason to suggest this.

EDIT: Oh and I didn't mention. I'm using a 16GB Patriot card in mine.

Last edited by bobobo1618; 01-01-2013 at 12:12 AM.
bobobo1618 is offline   Reply With Quote