View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
It's not that the people writing the proposal are illiterate; it's that it's written by committee, spread out over some time, and never read through as a final document before being sent off to a client.
Having been a technical writer for a time, I fully concur with this assumption. Yes, the documents in some big companies are absolutely committee'd to death. The best part was writing a perfect chapter explaining everything that was needed as directed only to watch it thrown to the shark tank (ie, the committees) and absolutely shredded. Hence why I'm not a technical writer anymore. lol. :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by mXb View Post
e.g. "given" instead of "giving"........"wages" instead of "wagers" (that was on 2 consecutive lines so not a typo)
Sometimes that's more a result of local dialect than actual typos. I've quite often caught myself using wrong words in a sentence simply because that's how it's spoken locally, proper grammar and enunciation be damned. For example, around here it's extremely common to hear people say "fer noth'n" instead of "for nothing". Even I do that. So to me some typos are expected. Most aren't, but when you toss in a variable like dialect, all bets are off.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote