Thread: Ebook Price War
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 04:37 PM   #50
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
Last Dec while visiting a family member, I noticed she had a Kindle - her kids had given it to her the previous Christmas and showed her how to buy and download books.
So, she had purchased about 12-15 books and generally read a bit every evening. Beyond that, she knew nothing about the ebook world.
She was somewhat aware that other companies made ereaders, but had no idea that certain ebooks could only be read on certain readers, or that ebooks were available from her public library, Project Gutenberg, etc..
I rather expect there are thousands of others with no more knowledge than that. So at least a percentage of ereader owners aren't necessarily 'ok' with a walled garden, they just aren't aware it even exists.

I'm curious about the afore-mentioned survey. What criteria was used to find only 11% purchase ebooks? Does this include buyers who don't own a reader, but instead read on their computer? This is true of 3 of my friends, all of whom buy more ebooks than I, but I'm the one with a ereader. Does it count the person the book goes to, or the person making the purchase - e.g. I gave the relative a gift card which was spent on ebooks. Seems like there would be lots of variables to consider.
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote