View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
ebsebs
Connoisseur
ebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeebsebs possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Nook ST/Nook HD+
I got one of these yesterday, primarily to compare it with my Augen TB (yeah, I know...)

First impressions:

1. The Slick and the Augen appear to be similar hardware, certainly the same 800x480 LCD screen. The Slick is slightly shorter, since it has no keyboard, but it feels a bit heavier than the Augen.

2. The Slick eReader does a better job rendering ePub books. It has only one font in three sizes, but it does a much better job with the page format than the Augen. In some cases, the Augen displayed a book (Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide) in a default Courier font with minimal formatting on chapter headers, etc., while the Slick did a much better job. I do wish that the Slick had the same range of margin and line spacing settings that the Augen does, though.

3. The Slick has a built in "File Explorer" which handles nested folders on a memory card, and lets you open and delete books. You can't delete books on the Augen without using a computer.

4. The image viewer on the Slick is much worse than the Augen, which is actually not bad. The same images that are clearly displayed on the Augen appear to be very badly resized on the Slick. The Augen also has "fit to height" and "fit to width" options missing on the Slick. The Slick does have a slideshow feature, but I wouldn't bother, considering how poor the images look.

5. I haven't tried the Slick MP3 player yet, but it looks better than the completely stripped-down one on the Augen.

6. The Slick has a graphical "library shelf" display to select books, but I'll probably use the file explorer instead, since it understands folders, instead of just displaying all books alphabetically.

7. The Slick charges via it's AC adapter and USB (hooray); the Augen doesn't charge via USB.

8. Operational notes:
a. The Slick hasn't shown any of the problems with "forgetting" the SD card that the Augen does.
b. Since the Slick doesn't have a keyboard, you can only go to a percentage position in a book (in 5% increments), not a specific page like the Augen.
c. Clicking twice on the OK button while reading displays a bookmarks menu that is not mentioned in the user manual.
d. The Slick is a little slower to turn pages (at least in an ePub book) than the Augen, especially the first page of a new chapter, but it's not really objectionable.
e. You can turn off the Augen while reading and it will return to your page when you turn it back on, but I can't make this work on the Slick. It always seems to go to a "shutdown" screen, and you have to use "Continue Reading" to get back to your page, but it doesn't take very long.

I think I might keep the Slick, just because of its superior page rendering. We'll see...
ebsebs is offline   Reply With Quote