View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
David, when you create a Kobo account you also agree to the terms of use, which does include an agreement to use accurate and true information about your address. Legal prosecution for a criminal offense of fraud is separate from what Kobo might choose to do if you violate the agreement.
It's going to be a bit of stretch, even for a lawyer, to equate my physical address/billing address for a credit card with an IP address. If I sit in a Starbucks in Portland and order an ebook, am I violating the terms of use? What if I am in Cabo San Lucas (nice place to visit but not sure if I'd want to live there long term)?

I think quoting sections D and E(g) would have been more relevant.

OTOH, one opinion I was given in a similar discussion a while back is that since the majority of people are behind routers and using RFC-1918 private addresses, such clauses are basically meaningless. My current IP address is 172.16.231.76 which has no geolocation information -- it's a private and non-routable address. Depending on the routing and network load, that internal address can be NATted and routed so as to show up as at least 4 different locations.

Or for hoots, how about when using an ISP where you are physically in Canada but your IP address geolocates to California or Texas? Or you are in Australia but your ISP geolocates you to the USA? Or the Texas school district which Google decided was in Alberta so their Google searches redirected to using google.ca? See http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventure...ols-canada-383 for more on that one -- personally, I thought it was rather funny at the time.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 09-17-2013 at 01:33 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote