View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
dclavey
ePub Junky
dclavey began at the beginning.

Device: Black Sony Touch PRS-600, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
The reason I didn't include an internal TOC or hyperlinks was because on the PRS-505 it takes almost as long, or longer to select the correct link and activate it as it takes to just jump back to the external TOC.).
Yes understood, the external TOC is very fast. And even faster on the 600 because of its faster processor.

Quote:
I agree that an internal TOC would become far more useful with the touchscreen ebook readers.

Good luck creating your version

EDIT: Hmm, just looking at your TOC idea, would you mind if I end up borrowing it (or something similar) for mine?)
Absolutely, its actually a very simple idea and just requires one more level of TOC.

I only go to chapter level, but I have got a more complex scheme but was not convinced I really needed to go that far, i.e. right down to verse level on the TOC. I have seen some very bit ePub Toc's take an eternity to load. And one on a free TNIV I downloaded completely crash my 600 because they had all the references in the TOC!

By the way it was the downloading your version of KJV and playing with it on a PC, taking the ePub apart and trying my new TOC idea - that was my justification for buying a Sony reader - so Thanks

You can download XML format bible text from here:

opensong

And then its a small hop to write a XML to ePub converter.

Quote:
Also, I don't know how the PRS-600 manages large ePubs compared to the 505, but speed is an important factor. It should be split into as many xhtml streams as possible - I ended up having a separate xhtml file for every chapter in the bible. And be careful when you build your toc.ncx file - you should reference the file itself and no more. Don't try to link to a specific spot in an xhtml file unless it's absolutely necessary (eg: verses).
Yep I only go down to chapter level at the moment. I also combine verses together when appropriate for an easier read.
dclavey is offline   Reply With Quote