View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Definitely a bit late in the game to be soliciting apps for the new release. The upcoming update is probably going to disappoint a lot of people who have been waiting for months for what has been likely a highly over-exaggerated update. The over-exaggeration has been in the minds of the nookcolor owners who seem to have convinced themselves that this will be a major update which will turn the nookcolor into the best tablet ever. Those people will no doubt be very disappointed. I personally think the update will be rather boring and that we will never see a huge number of meaningful apps. Probably the best we can hope for are a bunch of games, which I could care less about, perhaps an email app which is very elementary in design and lacking in function.

In my opinion, B&N should be working hard to turn the stock ePub reader into a better app with more functionality and fewer quirks. It is currently a third rate reader app.
  • Add more fonts
  • Add more format settings
  • Add landscape view
  • Add 2-column landscape view
  • Add farthest read page function
  • Make the text selection like the iPad wherein your finger doesn't obscure what you are selecting--add a magnified view in other words
  • Greatly improve the dictionary lookup function. It currently chokes on words with accented characters. It often gets confused by plurals. It often shows duplicated entries. Dictionary needs a LOT of work!
  • Et cetera

I seriously doubt B&N will allow third-party readers to be installed as apps on non-rooted nookcolors, so they need to greatly improve their stock reader. Afterall, the nookcolor is still marketed as a READER.

I think the nookcolor is a great piece of hardware, but it is doesn't have the high quality of software that it should. Compared to other dedicated readers on the market, the functionality of the nookcolor's stock reader app is very lacking and rudimentary. Software is easy to fix, so I hope they hurry up and do so. The nookcolor has great potential as a reader, but only if B&N gets the software right.

Last edited by jswinden; 04-08-2011 at 11:25 AM.