View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #15
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I just ran across this tidbit on hackingnetflix.com...
Y'know, there are reasons why "rumor" is not a synonym for "fact"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin
And lets keep the "I'm never going for that because I just want a reader device" noise to a minimum as we know that already, the idea here is to discuss what such a device could mean the the whole idea of the reader merging with the various media tablets which have all pretty much never delivered on the promises.
The Kindle isn't a "media tablet." Clearly you're not going to use the Kindle, or an eInk-type device, to watch a movie.

I don't see any particular reason why you'd use Whispernet for movies either. The cell service is too slow to transmit movies (streaming or otherwise), there isn't much (if any) need to sync data about movies across devices, and Whispernet isn't made for streaming.

I'm fairly sure one reason why ebook makers can offer unlimited free wireless is because transmitting books uses a paltry amount of bandwidth compared to even a smartphone, enough that the revenues from book purchases are sufficient to cover the cost. Add an "unlimited movies" service, and that gets blown away, and the retailer will need to charge $50 a month or whatever just for the cell service.

So you might see a "Kindle for Tablet" that runs on devices that happen to stream video, but that's going to be pretty much the extent of any sort of "synergy" here. Especially since Amazon started its VOD back in 2006, a Netflix buyout isn't going to change anything in terms of devices.

I.e. I see no particular effects for the ebook business based on any retailer acquiring Netflix, or setting up their own streaming service.

Quote:
And yeah, it has a LONG way to go before it makes sense on a Kindle-like device...but it will happen eventually and you all know it.
Yeah, no. A screen / device that's good for animations is not going to be good for static purposes (reading) for the foreseeable future. And a relatively distraction-free device will always be useful.

I might add that I for one don't particularly care if my reading device has video or a cheese grater attached, as long as incorporating a new function does not detract from its quality as a reading device. That just doesn't seem likely with current technology.

Quote:
readers will evolve into multi-function Swiss-Army Knife type devices...me I am mostly in the more PDA-like camp over a video device, but sometimes ya just gotta change with the times I suppose.
Multi-function devices do not always absorb or eliminate dedicated devices. This is just a presumption largely borne of media hype.

Cameras, DVD players, watches, FM radios, fax machines, game consoles, portable digital audio players and countless other specialized devices persist despite the routine inclusion of their functions into multifunction devices. Dedicated devices offer several various advantages -- e.g. quality, focus, ease of use, portability, robustness, etc -- that keep them useful. In fact, it's somewhat rare for a multifunction device to completely replace a focused device; the only one I can think of offhand is the PDA merging into the smartphone.

This is not a matter of "sticking one's head in the sand," it is merely an awareness that dedicated devices offer advantages that trump the convenience of combining multiple functions into a single object.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote