View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #82
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Plus. Once you figure out how to do it... Its a little addicting!

I spent about an hour, maybe an hour and a half yesterday going through the text of Les Miserables. I was using the book element tool to find the titles. And Book Designer had assigned the "Chapter 1" etc. (Text in the raw TXT file I got from gutenberg) as Chapter titles. (Which means that on the bottom of the reader, (Chapter 1) Would appear... Unacceptabe, (To me) and first and foremost I'm making these for me and sharing them here.... because i didnt want to take the time to delete the "Chapter 22" text, (I made the compromise of leaving the text so it would appear on the reader but i didnt want it on the bottom of each page in the chapter) ((I hope everyone is following)) I was using the 'subtitle button to change the Chapter 1 text into subtitles, then going to the REAL chapter titles below, highlighting it and clicking "Title so THAT would read at the bottom of each page in that chapter in the reader.. A long tedious process indeed. Finally when i finished i clicked make book and had too many other programs opened. the program crashed, I lost EVERYTHING!!!!!!!! I almost said a bad word! My wife was waiting patiently to go on a motorcycle ride so i left to go.. When i came home i thought. Ok.. I'm just going to make the book so i can read it and i will deal with the stupid Chapter 16 at the bottom of the page on the reader.. I opoened elements again just for the heck of it and noticed a button at the bottom of the element window that said. "Change element to... " A bell rung. So.. This is awesome.. I had the element finder find all the titles, They were listed as the hated 'Chapter 77" etc on the element window. (And in les miserable theres about 15 million chapters because Hugo wrote every 6 paragraphs and started a new chapter in this book) I selected the top one, held down shift, selected the bottom one highlighting them all.. Then clicked the drop down list at the bottom.. found delete.. Clicked.. Dudes and dudettes. ALL those stupid "Chapter 44 etc, dissapeared at one fell swoop! Then... I had the element tool find all Subtitles... (The REAL chapter titles) Selected all, then CHANGED THEM TO TITLES at one fell swoop. Walla! in exactly 28 seconds accomplished what took me over an hour!!!! A west texas yell flowed out of my mouth! The dogs barked for blocks around my house.

I hope those of you who dont care about the PROCESS skipped reading all that but to those of you who want space between paragraphs and etc..

You can see, besides rewriting the etire text, how difficult that would be and most of the books I've done so far, I havent read yet, or I've read parts of, or heard about that book and have it on my "To read" list.

And this reader is AWESOME because now i dont have to truck down to the library to find, then check out, and return!!!

So...

I'm happy to make em... But the finest details...
Hopefully I can keep finding fast ways to fix them like I did with the "Convert elements tool"

Maybe that Convert all elements trick will work good for some of the rest of you who are using Book Designer?
You prolly already use it.

Roy
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote