View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I don't need evidence from Amazon itself. Draconian "always be online" DRM from game publishers, the movie streaming, and game streaming services tell me enough. If Amazon can (which is, as soon as there's 3G / wifi everywhere), they will set up a book streaming service.

They won't let a change to attain total control slip by. Not being able to get at your downloaded books in the Win8 application is just another way to get more control, and a first step in keeping the books from you.

And having seen people lose drm-ed or streamed stuff for which they paid good money (because the company goes broke, or just stops the service), I decided won't have any of it.

With regard to this stuff, I don't trust *anyone*.

I detest DRM, streaming, and clouds, and I do not trust anyone who employs these as I can never be sure that *my* product for which I paid is accessible in the future. If I cannot have a drm-free an uncontrolled file (possibly made so by myself) very soon after purchase, thereby cutting all ties with the seller, then I will not buy it.

And I'm anal about this. And paranoid. In the extreme. I'm long time fan of Baldur's Gate. I've had it almost since launch. First on CD. Now DRM-free (downloadable as a setup file) at Gog.com. I've been playing it for 15 years (and it's sequels too), and might add another 10 or 15 if I feel like it. I would like to play Beamdog's remake, but I won't, because they use DLC (downloadable content) and serverside DRM. I won't play it before it appears on Gog.com, complete with all DLC built into the game and no DRM. If it doesn't appear as such, I won't touch it. I burned myself once (Dragon Age, which has DLC and an activation procedure), and will never again.

The only products for which I accept it are Windows and Photoshop, because I'll eventually replace or upgrade them, and because there is no alternative to run Windows software reliably.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-06-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote