View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Hmm. I have a few UK specific apps on my smartphone you might like to look at. Not sure how they will work on an Arc though - sorry!

I like the National Rail Enquiries app best for train times. It not only lets you find times, and platform numbers, but you can track a live train when you're wondering where you are when sitting on the train in the dark and how long til you get home (I was scared getting home from Leeds in the pitch dark and snow a few weeks ago and this meant I could let my boyfriend know exactly where I was). It does have ads, but I think you can pay to get rid of them if you bother you.
Another one I like - pay though - is Rail planner live.

Uk News: I use this app on my phone all the time. It has a great widget for keeping half an eye on the news while I should be working.
This one will depend what paper you prefer of course, but I have Guardian Anywhere set up to download the sections of the guardian every day automatically at 7 am. That way I can take it with me and access whenever I like.

Weather: The Met office app Peter linked is supposed to be quite accurate, but it responds very slowly on my little phone -- your mileage may vary with an Arc though. I use Accuweather and have been very pleased with it. It is also on sale for a very cheap price at the moment.

For things like local weather and travel, I point my copy of Opera Mini at the web page I want and find it works ok. I have friends who also swear by the RAC traffic app.

I also second what PeterT says -- don't be afraid to try different apps til you find ones you like.

Last edited by Liesse; 01-27-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote