View Single Post
Old 08-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #26
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
I spent the whole morning (so far) re-doing my ornaments (in various sizes) this way (as you offered up here, odedta, as I've quoted below), testing it out on my computer in ADE and Sony Reader Library, and while it seemed to work fine in those, when I finally got around to transferring my epub over to the iPad and looked at it in iBooks, everything is TOTALLY outta wack -- the ornaments are all the wrong sizes. It seems that what's happening is that (to use your example, below) the image size of 60% is ignored, and instead they all go to the 100% defined in the paragraph style -- either that or it's just ignoring both and inserting the image as large as it can or something (but that would be weird).

Bummer, I really thought that I (i.e. you) had licked this problem.
Oedata misspoke/mistyped, I believe.

I think he meant to tell you to make the image 100% of the p, and then size the p (div) accordingly. That's what we do with divs. We often wrap a p around an image and then wrap that in a div, depending upon circumstances.

And, n.b.: what Wolfie told you is right: solutions that work on later iBooks won't work on first-gens (like the "oh, it's solved" problem of floating images at the top of a page having text run through them--cost me a client). Apple never bothered to fix it for first-gen iPads, along with a host of other issues. Also, when it comes to almost any added "flourishes," e.g., everything from dropcaps to incipits to you-name-it, you likely shall have to make a different book for iBooks versus other readers, because there is so much "workaround" crap you have to do.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote