View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #44
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Personally I'm not prepared to pay more than about £2-£2.50, but as I don't buy newly released books, I could pick any of them up secondhand for £1.50-£2, and I'm prepared to pay a little more for the convenience of not having to actually go out and buy them.
That is me as well. I have always equated my ebook purchases to used/2nd hand pbooks. I have pretty much purchased my recreational pbook reading 2nd hand for no more than about $4.99 though usually between $0.50 - $3.99. I feel no compelling reason to pay more.

I consider any money I spend with the publisher to be "found money" for the publisher. As in they never got money from me over the past 45yrs so by publishing at a lower price they are reaching those of us who they never had as customers. Ebooks seem like a way for publishers to finally put dents in the "used" book market which has to be a big untaped revenue center which publishers have always been, naturally, locked out of.

I suspect there are a lot of us who have been used buyers who are now loving ebooks more than ever but we are not going to change our buying habits forged over the decades. Of course us dinosaurs will eventually go the way of the do-do perhaps solving the matter in the publisher's favor.

I miss Fictionwise and their amazing sales with their "points" game that could be used to buy even more books during the sales. Those folks had the right idea and were killed off by the price-fix-gang's scheme.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote