View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I imagine the issue here is "free." Back then there wasn't as much money to be made as a SF writer. Read some interviews with the old writers and you're shocked at how hard they had to scramble to make a living. There was no chance of a movie contract or the sort of wealth enjoyed by the creators of Harry Potter, Twilight, etcetera.

Good SF is, perhaps, valued more today than ever. Cory Doctorow comes to mind as one of the few good SF authors dabbling with free distribution. Didn't Peter Watts also provide his Rifter trilogy for free?

Most of my SF favorites are not free to read. Neal Stephenson, Neal Asher, Charlie Stross, Vernor Vinge, Richard Morgan, Michael Swanwick, China Mieville (more fantasy steampunkery) and many more are writing mostly-elf-and-vampire-free SF that stirs me.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote