View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Question Whither science fiction ?

Many years ago in my youth, I was enthralled by "science fiction", Ray Bradbury etal, and also recieved many passed-on copies of the US/UK magazines of the time, with their evocative artwork, and low quality "pulp" paper .

(As I got older, I began to sift out those which I felt were basically westerns set on other worlds, but, well, knowing the ending.... )

With my embracing of ebook technology, I can't resist looking at any free or low price offer, a great number of which are, yes, science fiction.
Nowadays, they seem to be about elves etc... ( "Lord of the Rings rip-off area), magic & wizards/ry, ( Harry Potter rip-off area), gore, blood and violence in general on other worlds , times, and on Earth - vampires being a great contributor, it seems to me (TV rip-area) - and ..... Westerns set on other worlds.
Again.

Being entranced by Tolkein well before he became a cult, ditto Ms. Rowling, and not being a great prude - apart from obviously naughtiness and blood & guts for the sake of it - I should be in my element.
Sadly, I am not.
Many of the offerings I have investigated have proved to be, frankly, rubbish - to me, anyway - mainly due to silly plots & characters, bad construction, silly mistakes, and quite honestly terrible writing in general.
The unfortunate thing is, some begin with a vital requirement for a great read - a very good idea, plot, or device.

I suppose 'twas ever thus - but there is now the opportunity for so much more of it ..........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote