View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 02:26 PM   #91
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Use of the signular they doesn't create confusion, any more than does a singular you does.

Perhaps to you it doesn't. It does to others, and that should be considered.

I'm not arguing about "correct." Language evolves and I tend to think of grammar in descriptive terms rather than prescriptive. In this case, both a prescriptive rule such as "'they' can only be used a plural pronoun," OR "'he' can never be used as a gender-neutral pronoun" are both limiting and arbitrary. All I'm suggesting is that for some (I suspect many,) the effect of using "they" as a singular pronoun is jarring. For some audiences, the use of "he" as a gender-neutral pronoun might be jarring, but my suspicion is that these readers are the minority as this usage of "he" is the long-standing convention of which we are all aware.

Last edited by JohnGalt; 08-27-2012 at 02:39 PM.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote