View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 08:33 AM   #1
jwalck
jwalck began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Orizon
ePub DRM on Linux

I just got my first e-reader and I'm very happy with it (cybook orizon), but this lead me into the hell that publishers seem to have created for themselves and their customers. I've searched around these forums and the rest of the internet a bit but not found the answers to all my questions, and still remain without the book that I payed for.

To start with, no Wintendo, no OSuX. I know these are stated as requirements, but there's almost always some way around that. I could run over to a friend with Windows later but that's the current state of affairs. I got ADE running along just fine in wine, I bought the book from http://foyles.co.uk/ (came up when I searched for the book, seemed as good as any other retailer).

My problem now is that besides requiring ADE, foyles requires some flash app to connect to it. Something that fails when ADE is in wine. This means I can't even get the xml download file that I've heard I'm supposed to get, to run in ADE.

I haven't authorized my e-reader with my adobe id yet but I seem to be able to do that directly from it when I need to, just want to see ADE hold my book first. Any tips? Was I just unlucky in my pick of retailer that required flash alongside ADE?

On a related but more personal note, I'm a strong advocate against the use of DRM anywhere, and I'll do everything I can to get rid of it, if I'm lucky even disable the support in my e-reader. Now I wanted to try it, and could not find this book without DRM. In general, this is not an experience I'll pay for.

EDIT: fixed url

Last edited by jwalck; 11-11-2010 at 08:43 AM.
jwalck is offline   Reply With Quote