View Single Post
Old 11-24-2008, 05:48 AM   #10
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But this book is justified, and it is displayed so if you open it with a browser (using the index.html file), or in Bookworm, or with Openberg Lector (Firefox plugin), or with the Opera Ebook reader widget. So if it's not justified in some other reader, it's entirely the reader's fault.

I gave up most kinds of creation software long ago. I create my eBooks by manually editing the (X)HTML, CSS, etc. files. This gives me greater control of things and I usually get much cleaner code. In this case, creating justified text is as simple as adding in the CSS:

body {
text-align: justify;
}

Now, what none of the readers I've seen support is the Epub headers (the "display: oeb-page-head" property). They are supposed to remove these elements from the normal page flow and either display them as header or just ignore them. But all of them just leave the text in the page, which is not nice at all. (It's the "1.3 — England’s Peril" and similar, after each chapter heading).
Exactly what I said. The readers mentioned by you just open the integrated (x)html pages and display them, hence the correct justifying. When you use readers like ADE, that just won't work. My texts are ALWAYS justified, but epub readers will just display them wrongly.

I use
p {
text-align: justify; text-indent: 1em;
} with a p .noident for special cases in my stylesheet, but the principle is the same.

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-24-2008 at 05:52 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote