View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
Personally I think that the patronage model cannot work on a large scale today at least here in the US - it will be attacked politically, think the headlines - "people are dying of malaria, famine in poor countries, while here the food stamps usage is at a record high and you use your foundation money to subsidize that crap sf thingy" and the tax code is unlikely to support it either.
There are active patrons operating in the U.S. today. Most of them are applauded for supporting artists. I don't know whether they get a tax deduction or not, but for instance, if I donate to the Public Broadcasting System (PBS), I can take that off of my taxes. (It might mean an author having to register as a tax-deductible entity.)

The U.S. government also subsidizes through grants. Every year, certain organizations take the govt to task for giving grants to one group or another. Yet, the system is still in-place and used, albeit with a bit more oversight to make sure fewer quacks and crackpots get grants.

Bottom line: We get those headlines now. I'm pretty sure no politician or CEO has lost office because of one...

And by the way: "that crap sf thingy" ...I'll try not to take that personally...

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 04-01-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote