View Single Post
Old 08-15-2007, 11:37 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon View Post
Let me give you a 'for instance' here.

Fictionwise. The new William Gibson novel - Spook Country. $26. Available only in DRMed formats.

Amazon.com. Same book. $16 (in hardcover no less!)

Now, are you going to tell us, in complete honesty, that intelligent, honest people are going to actually pay $10 more to get less?

Because once I've read the paper version, I can re-sell it on Amazon.com and get at least $10 back. You can't do that with the DRMed eBook

Amazon.com will guarantee that the paper book will still be readable in 5 years. Fictionwise can't guarantee that any of those DRMed formats will be around in 5 years.

Simply put, buying that eBook for $26 from Fictionwise tells the publishers and authors only 1 thing: eBook buyers are morons with too much money.
Sony Connect Store.. William Gibson's Spook Country $20.76. Yes, I know it's more expensive then Amazon.com, but it's cheaper then Fictionwise.

And don't forget if that's all you order from Amazon, you'll get charged $3.99 for shipping. So the price really is $19.99.

BooksOnBoard have this for $19.98. Yes, it's cheaper then Amazon (with shipping by 1 penny).

I was just looking at a different book at BooksOnBoard and the MobiPocket edition is 5 cents more then the MS Reader edition. Why is that?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote