Thread: MobileRead Discussion: Stiff by Mary Roach
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #11
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
I wasn't expecting there to be quite so much content about stuff done to living people and other animals. I was hoping for a book about research done with dead human bodies (which would not have upset me) but there was a lot of stuff about live human and non-human animal testing (which was upsetting). It seemed like a bait-and-switch.
I find myself agreeing; I haven't finished the book yet, but Roach explained early on that she wasn't being disrepectful to the dead humans - yet she seems unnecessarily flippant about the suffering of live non-humans in research.

lene1949 says testing on non-humans is necessary; without wishing to turn this discussion into a debate on that thorny issue - I'd just like to say I disagree with that view.

Added: Finished the book and found it a very interesting read. I was surprised that the section on cannibalism implied it was a practice remote from us, Christian communion rituals (consuming the body and blood of Christ) are a normal part of many people's lives. Also, Roach's slightly sniffy attitude to environmental issues has dated horribly in the relatively few years since publication. But overall I thought it a good read; even though I have a different outlook to the author's in many respects.
It was a shame she didn't like the idea of being eaten by crabs; I think I'd quite like to end up as a meal for fellow creatures - Tibetan sky burials seem quite appealing.

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-22-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote