View Single Post
Old 09-18-2012, 10:54 PM   #69
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'll have to admit that the early Foundation stuff was never really my favorites of the Asimov stuff myself. There were pieces that I liked and pieces that I just found incredibly dry. I actually found Foundation's Edge and Foundation and Earth more interesting myself. That said, I still pick the series up from time to time to read. And to say that it's not visionary? There's an awful lot of research that goes into crowd dynamics that I'd argue is very much related to the psychohistory stuff.

To be though, I'd actually say Asimov's biggest impact was all the stuff he did with Robotics. And that stuff definitely had a profound impact on other science fiction writers.

Dune? I'll give you the first three as pretty good, but I found it pretty tough to labor through the second three myself. Actually can't remember if I ever managed to finish them, or if I finally gave up.

That's the nice thing about science fiction (and literature in general). There's an awful lot of it out there, and nobody has to like everything.
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote