View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 06:35 AM   #20
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Alex and the moderators discussed that quite a bit. Alex decided to go with the seperate forums because he felt that most people looking to discus their device will not know that they have an OEM Jinke device and won't realize that is the forum they are looking for.

BOb
Are you serious? So what's that mean - bad luck to all the other Hanlin users (BeBook, LBook, etc.) who just have to figure it out themselves?

Come on, this was a bad decision and should just be admitted. There is much more benefit to having all Hanlin users under one forum. Or at least separating by actual device (V3, V5, etc.). But dividing the forums so that V3 and V5 clones are grouped by distributor is a little stupid.

As was pointed out to me when requesting a BeBook forum, it is the same hardware with interchangeable firmware. And I agree - there is much more benefit to a common forum. I have found many good ideas from users of other distributor devices. I now run my BeBook with LBook firmware, and it's great!

As Astak is aimed at the US, I would suggest any user has made a conscious decision to boycott the big names like Kindle and Sony, so they know exactly what they are getting - a Hanlin clone. That's probably why they chose it - after reading forums like these.

Anyway, too late for all that now. Much ado about nothing. A bad call, inconsistent reasoning, and very disappointing.

P.S. Maybe one day you will change that catchy and wholly erroneous tag-line on the Hanlin forum - you know the one: "Chinese counterpart to the Sony Reader." Maybe you could use that area for something informative - like making a clear and concise connection between the Astak and Hanlin forums. That way those poor confused souls, who don't realise they have a Hanlin clone, will find their way with ease.
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote