View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 04:40 AM   #757
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It takes a heck of a lot of exercising, though, to get rid of fat on its own. 1lb of fat contains about 3500 calories. Brisk walking uses perhaps 80 calories a mile, so you need to walk about 44 miles to burn a pound of fat. Whereas consuming 500 calories a day less than your body needs will achieve the same thing in a week. A combination of exercise and eating less is, I think, the most effective method.
This is not only a mathematical problem. When you reduce weight by only consuming much less you will send your body to starvation mode in which he keeps all his reserves as he thinks he needs it for surviving. And by just eating normally again (not the big amounts like before) you will again gain a lot of fat and weight.
By combining it with exercise you set your body into a fat burning mode in which he gives free all the unwanted calories and burns the fat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
It's a shame there isn't some way for each of us to find out 'exactly' how many calories our own bodies use in our 'normal' daily life. There are lots of lists of 'averages,' but everyone's metabolism is different. Add in the differences for muscle mass and you get some real variation in metabolic rates. I'd love to know how much "I" burn when doing some activities.
You can start by wearing a pulse watch (?, heart rate monitor) a whole day long or for some days. It's not completely correct as it is also based on some average statistics but it is a beginning.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote