View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 11:59 AM   #69
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
OK, I'm no longer a student, but two considerations:

- what I absolutely NEED to have for my normal work (e.g. writing and reading documents and working with Excel) is a big display. I added a 200$ 24" FullHD Samsung screen for home office use and am totally happy with that over the tiny 1280*800 display of my notebook.

- I bought a used HP Laserjet 4050 some years ago for ~200$ on ebay from an equipment liquidator (they sell off used office equipment), and it is just so much better than any injket printer I have had back when I was a student. Of course, I can not print photos on it, but for text/copy it can not be beat IMO. Also, a LJ 4050 or similar with 50,000 pages printed IMO is much better than a new cheapo home laser printer that will take forever to print a single page and have all manners of limitations (OK, it's big, but so what).

Best regards,
Andy
Larger displays are nice, I agree. As a cash-limited student my niece will probably make do without one. If she needs one she can always buy it later. Though the Apple displays are high resolution and thus expensive, and I'm not sure how well other manufacturer's displays (probably cheaper but lower resolution) would work with screen output from a Mac. I haven't ever researched that.

For black and white I liked laser printer output for text, and also I recall having more trouble with cheap laser printers than with cheap inkjet printers. I haven't looked at printers for a few years so I don't know what all the options are now. I'm sure my niece can research them though. Also I never even thought about buying used, good, previously expensive office-duty laser printer. I had assumed that evolving printer technology and increasing print resolution would have made them obsolete. But you jogged a memory of exquisite high resolution color printing from a very expensive office laser printer (forget the manufacturer), on expensive special paper, and that the color supplies for it were phenomenally expensive -- about 15 years ago.

Last edited by unboggling; 06-15-2012 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Corrections explained downstream
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote