View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
robbiet480, thanks for your great work over at NookDevs.com

Looking forward to seeing what your hacked "Daily" feed server can do. BTW, I didn't mean to imply that your service was not trustworthy or that you had any nefarious schemes up your sleeves in my previous post. I'm pretty sure that you're forwarding other DNS requests as stated to OpenDNS (which I use anyways), but I was meant as a cautionary note for those who don't fully understand how your method of changing DNS Server addresses works that this could be a security problem for "man in the middle attacks" (and if you weren't an upstanding person).

Anyways, really enjoying following what you're doing and looking forward to trying it out soon.

Just a few questions (ok, alot of questions now that you've opened up Pandora's box as it were):

-Are you going to pass through the official BN Daily feeds so folks don't miss anything? (ie. are you tacking your feeds on to the end of the BN XML Stream?)
-Any way to filter the BN Daily feeds to get rid of stuff you're not interested in?
-Are the feeds being sent as ePub's or just text embedded in XML?
-Any way to modify the fonts/size of these feeds via your system? (nice personalization to get around the Nook's current limitations)
-Are you going to have individually configurable RSS feeds? Is this going to be per device?
-Can these feeds accommodate embedded graphics/visuals?
-Any plans to release the code publicly?
-Any way to run something like this locally within your own network? Might be nice to take the workload off your servers and folks running stuff locally could manage their local feeds and send other documents like emails, address book/contact lists, reminders, to-do lists, other private stuff like that.
-Any way to send files to other directories on the Nook (ie. uploading ePubs and Music wirelessly w/o going through hooking up the USB cable)?

I for one would really consider paying for software if you could figure out a way to package up a local "Daily" server for me to run on my computers here at home to do many of the things above. The ability to load info/files wirelessly in my own home would be the killer app for me.

Thanks again for your hard work, will be keeping a real close eye on what you're doing over there at NookDevs.com

Regards,

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote