View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
I had to argue with my dad about his new LCD TV as he wanted to get sony and I had a hard time convincing him to go with Samsung. As to him Korean product are synonymous with low quality but today Samsung has one of the best TVs specially LCD.
Ten years ago LG was a purveyor of low-grade "drugstore electronics", rather like Coby is today. A distant follower looking to live off low-end trailing edge products. Now they are industry leaders.

Outside electronics, you see the same effect in Cars: with Hyundai having effectively caught up with the best japanese vendors and they have already left the europeans behind in average initial quality and reliability. All in the last two car generations.

Coming from behind means these companies have to make big strides and big bets to catch up. Meanwhile, the more established companies have gotten used to incremental improvements and they tend to be less aggressive in their product development cycle. (Witness recent Corollas and Civics. Not bad cars at all but their comparative standing in their class has evaporated as both american and korean cars in the same class have caught up in general and bested them on some specifics so they are no longer automatic wins.)

Perception tends to lag reality.
Unavoidable unless you're an enthusiast that keeps track of changes as they happen.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote