View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #138
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@transmitthis - no, I don't believe so. Covers for books are always saved in jpg format, which means no transparency capability. The "brown book" you refer to is a bit of a "kludge" if you like in Calibre, where a book does not have a cover. In that situation the calibre code displays the brown book .png file instead, which does have transparency.

So what I do is use a black background, which gives a nice effect on the cover browser. I don't mind the background being black on the book details panel.

In answer to your question on short stories, what I do is have a bunch of images which represent different genres, and have those embedded in the cover. So there is not a "short story" image as such, just a genre one. The reality has been for the books I have that in 99% of cases if it isn't a short story then there is an official cover for the book.

In terms of the choice of images, what I did was usually find some classic old magazine covers from google images, where the name of the magazine reflects the genre.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoverBrowser1.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	79833  
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote