View Single Post
Old 09-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #41
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
I think the answer to your question is already in kazbates's message:

As I said, for me the main thing is that when reading a book, you have time to think about what you are reading, wonder about discrepancies, check facts. You can also do that with a documentary, and I often do, afterwards. But while I watch it, I don't have time to think for myself. Or at least it feels that way. I think this may be the main problem: I feel I'm being force-fed conclusions, not led through a reasoning that I can question.

But the truth is, there are good documentaries that show you not just a conclusion or opinion, but how experts have come to that conclusion, and sometimes how they disagree on it. And there are not-so-good books that just shove opinions in your face without taking any pain to explain them. I like the first and dislike the second, but I gain something from both: questions. After all, questions are what makes life worth living
BINGO...and in an aliterate (love that word...got it from the Washington Times article I linked to.. ) world people never question anything, reaching conclusions based solely because others told them that is how to believe. I am so happy to have grown up before this became the norm here in the US. As a kid I read everything I could get my hands on, no matter the subject...just reading in that fashion exposed me to so many ideas, places and just "things".
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote