View Single Post
Old 01-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #152
Dropout
Enthusiast
Dropout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Kindle 8th Gen
Here's the thing with tablets, they are potentially too complicated to target most current e-ink eReader users. One of main reasons something like the Kindle is popular is because of how simple it is. You don't even need a computer to get more books. That is one of many advantages of it over a tablet.

eReaders are dedicated devices and for many more years they will probably be the preference for many readers. My mother is 56 years old and she called me up just to ask how to turn the wireless off on her Kindle to conserve battery life and then to boast how she downloaded a book all by herself. She just wants to read books, and I would easily assume that she is a good representative of the demographic these devices target.

Also, I really don't think battery life can be overstated as a major positive of E-Ink over LCD displays. Considering how long people have to spend in airports traveling, 8 hours won't cut it. Especially on a tablet where one is going to want to do more than read. Watching video, listening to music, and surfing the web will all drain the battery faster. Not to mention the size of a tablet compared to an eReader. There's a reason you don't see as many people anymore lugging around laptops. Most people just want to do one type of thing on their device. Some want to read, some want music, some want movies. For the average person something like and iPod Touch or iPhone will suffice.

Tablets have their place of course, and will eventually became the the thing we all have, but it won't be for years, and it won't be with LCD displays. Tablets need the advantage of battery life and a picture that is easy on the eyes. And when we do get that, don't expect it to be affordable for most people.

The best combo for me is an iPod touch and eReader. They are both small and are really better off separated. The media access of the Touch will get my attention for an hour or two, but I'll spend most of my time on the Kindle and not even have to think about anything other than reading.
Dropout is offline   Reply With Quote