View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #14310
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Maybe I will try to fill in a couple decades that I am missing and read something from 1900-1909 (Anne of Green Gables?), 1930-1939 (Little House on the Prairie? At the Mountains of Madness?) or 1960-1969 (Dune? Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?).
I'm missing the 1900s and 1930s too. I'm going to be reading A Man Lay Dead by Ngaio Marsh for the 1930s (and to complete my set of the Queens of Crime), and I'm thinking of trying to push on with Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M R James for the 1900s. This isn't a real challenge for me, though, just a bit of fun, so I don't really care if I don't get the whole set. I'm certainly going to be about 8 letters short of the alphabet challenge.
This certainly isn't one of my challenges, but since I had thought about it earlier and was stumped, I figured I may as well work on it. Just searching for "best books of ..." returned some good lists which are easier for me to winnow down to what I find interesting than looking for newer books. I tend to get a little too focused on some things (SF/Fantasy), so a little branching out is good for me.

I finally decided to reread Anne of Green Gables (from the library here, thanks vivaldirules!), it has been at least 20 years since I have read any of them, so I wanted to read at least this one again.

I also read The Problem of Cell 13 by Jacques Futrelle last night, it was a fun little locked room mystery, one of his best according to the site that sent me there. It was originally published in 1905, so I will have two from that decade. Reading these older short stories has been very fun, it lets me get a change of pace, plus since they have stood the test of time in order to be recommended they are generally very good.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote