View Single Post
Old 01-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
Daffy, did you remove the Que because of price or for some other reason?

I haven't removed it from my wishlist yet; I want to take a handson look at it when it becomes available at my local B&N store. Truth be told, I'm not in any rush to buy another device. My Sony 505 is perfect for my reading habits, except for newspapers. My sole reason (well, maybe not sole; a secondary reason is that my wife is interested in taking over my 505) for looking for a new device is that I want to be able to electronically download my daily New York Times and cancel my print subscription.

My problem is that after 50+ years of reading the NYT every day, I have grown accustomed to -- and like -- the physcial format of the newspaper and I want that experience reproduced electronically. I don't want a constantly updating web service and Calibre's newsfeed doesn't do the trick. If Que offers the experience I am looking for, I would consider buying it even at the $799 price. The difference in cost between the electronic and print subscriptions means the Que would be paid for in less than 2 years.
Richard ~ I didn't get to see a newspaper displayed on the Que but I did see Forbes magazine displayed with very nice results.

Don't misunderstand me, I think the Que is a very nice product but one that is very highly priced. If your main focus is reading newspapers and you want to be able to accomplish some business oriented tasks like reviewing/updating your calendar, displaying power point presentations, viewing documents, etc. and you can afford the hefty price tag, the Que is a good choice. However, if you are like me and are heavily into novel reading or prefer your periodicals in color, I would hold off a little longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Nice swag!
I know. . .Right?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pphilipp View Post
Kazbates,
I'm a man and I too am offended by Vegas demeanor. It's appeal must be to the basest of longings. If not for excellent shows like the CES, one trip there would be enough.

So... were there as many touch-screen devices as what the web predicted? Did you see any which stood apart from the rest?

thanks.
A lot of the companies are showing multiple versions of the e-ink devices, many with touch screens. I can't remember the exact vendors off the top of my head but will look back through all the brochures to see which are coming out with new touch screen editions. The strangest touch screen device that I encountered was the offering from Samsung. It is a touch screen but only works if you are touching the screen with the accompanying stylus. When I asked the rep about this she said people have a tendency to rest the side of their hand on the screen when they are making notes and they didn't want that to interfere with the notes. She also told me that it was an "e-ink thing" which required the use of the stylus. I didn't correct her, I just shook my head and moved on.

As for Vegas, I don't mean to come off sounding like a prude. I'm a firm believer in "to each his own" but it just seemed to me like they were trying to make it VERY easy for people to misbehave. And franklyto be perfectly frank, I can see all the naked women I want in the women's locker room at my local gym.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote