View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Actually, you can read most Kindle books on your PC with a little (questionably legal) jiggery pokery. The .azw books are encrypted Mobipocket, so if you strip the DRM off, you can read them with the Mobipocket reading software. Some maintain that stripping DRM to format shift for personal use in this manner is legal. Others disagree. It hasn't been tested in court. A small minority of Amazon books are Topaz format and no one's cracked that yet so they're Kindle-only.

If you are comfortable with stripping DRM, the same library books are available to you. Some are Mobipocket books which you can actually fix with a script to read on your Kindle without breaking the DRM. The Adobe books can be deDRMed and converted to unencrypted Mobipocket as well. It sounds a bit intimidating, but it's pretty easy.

They're all excellent readers, though. I went with the Kindle when I did because it offered search and dictionary lookup which the Sony didn't. The Jetbook wasn't out when I bought so I know less about it but they seem to have very impressive format support and you can't beat the price. I like eInk a little better visually but the fast refresh on the Jetbook's LCD screen is nice.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote