View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 PM   #540
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I'm seeing a little color in there but it is hard enough to evaluate that when looking at my own PW visually, much less in a photo. It looks reasonably good.

I'm still going back and forth about requesting a replacement for mine. I don't have an egregiously bad screen (no pinholes or light bars or uneven LEDs), but it does have some pastel clouds that show up at certain light levels with certain ambient lighting, and these are mildly distracting. But it seems there aren't any screens entirely free of this, and I can usually adjust the light to minimize it.

Perhaps a bigger problem for me is that I'm starting to notice that text doesn't render evenly across the entire screen. So some text on some regions of the page looks slightly bolder than text elsewhere on the same page. It appears to be a screen issue; the screen captures I've done show that the letterforms are defined identically no matter where they are on the page. Forcing page refresh does not fix it. It is as if some regions render greyscale more darkly than others, i.e have different 'response curves.' I need to create some test images (e.g. full page image swatches at different greyscale levels) to see what is going on, so I can decide if it is worth trying an exchange.

Apart from that, I prefer the way text renders on PW to Kindle Touch. Line spacing is a little tighter than Kindle Touch, and a little more text fits on each line (because there's more flexibility about how it can be justified). The new typefaces are nice to have.
Others have reported this defect on their PWs, though it does not seem to be as common as the other ones.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote