View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Things I miss from paper books:
  • An instant sense of how far into the book I am, and how much there is left to read,
  • High-quality pictures, esp. ones with metallic ink,
  • Covers with raised letters or tooled leather,
  • Extra-thin, gilt-edged pages on bibles other fancy books,
  • The sound of paper riffling,
  • Being able to flip to the index, look at something, and flip back without losing my place,
  • Shelf of titles to look at & offer to friends,
  • Stack of "finished reading" and "to be read;" easy to tell which is which.

What I don't miss:
  • Cracking the spine to be able to hold it open far enough to read into the center margins,
  • Needing two hands to read,
  • Heavy weight on my wrists,
  • Tiny text that's hard to read in dim light,
  • Trade & hardcover sized books that I have to keep shifting to be looking at the right place on the page,
  • Bookmarks that fall out so I forget what page I was on,
  • Bookmarks that damage the spine,
  • Pages that tear if I turn them too fast/roughly,
  • Papercuts,
  • Old cheap books with irregularly-cut pages,
  • Only able to carry one or two with me at a time,
  • Figuring out what to do with the cheap, damaged paperback when I'm done with it--keep? Trash? Give away? Bookcrossing?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote