View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Please help me laugh

Hiya folks,

When I was a student, I had to dedicate way too much time to excessively dense and contrived literature. I more or less vowed for a while not to bother reading again if I could avoid it.

A few years have gone by and, well, I have been getting into reading again. However, particularly dense or serious material kind of irritates me. I'm looking for some funny material.

Actually, I should say I'm looking for more funny material. I've got a small stack of books and ebooks waiting for me to run through them yet, but I always like the prospect of stockpiling more.

I've been reading Pratchett's Discworld series, and I rather enjoy the City Watch and Death books, though they don't really draw out laughs from me. I also liked "Good Omens" a lot, though I can't remember any jokes that got me to laugh out loud. Much the same way with P.G. Wodehouse so far: I appreciate the jokes and the situations, but I tend to keep a straight face or just smirk.

Being an uncivilized brute, I found myself in stitches reading Christopher Moore's "Lamb" at times...not as a jab at religion but merely as an amusing, somewhat zany story (seemed to slow down a bit at the end with the jokes though). I've got another book or two of his that I'll be tearing into soon enough, since I expect I'll enjoy them.

I went through David Sedaris's "Me Talk Pretty One Day", and though the first half rarely drew more than half a smile, I really enjoyed several stories in the second half.

I'm currently going through "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. While it's a very enjoyable read with lots of interesting historical anecdotes and observations and a few laughs, I'm really not cracking up the way I had originally expected. Not a bad thing, but I had picked it up with slightly different expectations.

I've got the first MYTH book by Robert Asprin waiting for me, as well as "A Confederacy of Dunces", Three Men in a Boat, Topper, and Neil Gaiman's "Anansi Boys". I've also got some more Pratchett waiting for me, and a few other books laying around like the first and second Xanth books.

I lean slightly more towards fantasy, and am slightly hesitant about science fiction. However, I think of myself as reasonably open-minded regarding genre, as long as it doesn't take itself too seriously.

I guess I'm probably being too particular in any case. Anyone got any recommendations?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote