View Single Post
Old 05-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #15
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post

I guess I should have said that they advertised that they charged $0.10 when I bought it, then raised the price to 300% of the original price.
Citing an arbitrary percentage increase is not particularly valid nor helpful, since it will vary dramatically, depending on the amount of data you are sending.

For example, a 1MB file will now cost 15 cents instead of 10. That's just a 50% increase in cost.

An 8MB file will now cost $1.20 instead of 10 cents. That's a 1200% increase in cost. WOW.

Yet, in both of these examples, the actual cost of the data transfer is exactly the same -- 15 cents/MB. Hmmmm. So, it looks like the more data we send, the more it will cost. That makes sense to me.

The bottom line is that this is a completely optional service that is not necessary to ever use. They shipped our Kindles with a handy USB cable. I use it regularly. Never pay a dime (or 15 cents) to Amazon for getting content to it.

And if we choose to use their service, 15 cents/MB is not an unreasonable charge by any stretch of the imagination.

Furthermore, Amazon will still convert your PDF and DOC files to AZW for free.

There must be more serious Kindle issues to get riled up about, aren't there?

El
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote