View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
That you can't pay with cash seems like an illegality to me but IANAL, since cash is legal tender.
Actually at least two ebookstores that I know of do accept cash...
...by mail. (Checks and money orders, really.)
(BAEN and Fictionwise.)
https://www.baenebooks.com/t-micropay.aspx
http://www.fictionwise.com/help/eBook_FAQ.htm

WalMart recently added a cash payment system for their online sales operation: you place the order and it stays on hold until you go to a Walmart store and pay there. (You can also order online for delivery at the Walmart store.) Sears allows ordering (and paying) in-store.

Convenience-wise it is simply easier to convert cash into either a gift card or pre-paid credit card, with the gifft card being the cheaper approach.

As you say, we *are* moving to a (somewhat) cashless world.

In the US there are the first suggestions of phasing out cash altogether and some thought is being given to how to implement it but I doubt cash will be abolished any time soon. Cash will endure; on privacy and personal security grounds, if nothing else.

Plus, politicians need a hard-to-trace vehicle for their "unofficial" income.

Last edited by fjtorres; 04-27-2012 at 08:47 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote