View Single Post
Old 11-30-2007, 05:31 AM   #28
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Well, I sort of agree with the statement. Maybe not 30 but definitely under 25. I have been discussing ebook readers on a few fantasy forums where I believe most of the members are students or young people age 15-25.

They are not interested at all.

There are a few issues. They are fans of certain writers/series. They buy books in the series ASAP when one is published and discuss it and re-read it. They would be deprived of this if they move to ebook reader.

First of all eBooks are not being published at the same time as hardback editions. So, fans of certain series would not be able to participate in discussion of the book within their circle, they would not be able to read a book that they were waiting for 1 year or more immediately, on a par with other fans who read pbooks.

Another issue is total absence of some of the eBooks.

There are no eBooks by Steven Erikson- Malazan Book of the Fallen

There are no eBooks by Glen Cook - The Black Company.

(Well at least in amazon kindle shop, I didn't check other shops).

So, it is very difficult to introduce a very expensive, one purpose gadget to people (computer science/chemistry/medicine/law students, high school students etc) who cannot read their favorite books as easily as they can read pbooks.

Last edited by astra; 11-30-2007 at 05:33 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote