View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
kusmi
Connoisseur
kusmi began at the beginning.

I guess every company has two sides in this game. I respect Adobe for standing behind this new standard, on the other hand, even Adobe is not a "good company" if you look at the DRM version of PDF. Currently only Adobe's Reader supports opening those DRM protected files - as far as I know...

The same is probably true for other companies. Microsoft does include open standards as well, but as you said, often mixes them with their own ideas to produce incompatibility. Apple as well: They base almost everything on open standards (MP4, PDF display engine, ...) but have added some incompatibilities (e.g. their own DRM on top of MP4).

The main reason for this to happen is, that the standardisation group is usually slow on expanding the standard. So if a company want's to differentiate its products from others they will end up adding stuff to the standard in a non-compatible way. in some cases those ideas go back to the original standard, but of course it might be a lengthy process until every party is happy with the extension...
kusmi is offline   Reply With Quote