View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Admittedly, I use launchpad sequences for mounting _and_ unmounting. It's a pretty manual approach. But mounting ZIPs is probably worth another thread, I did not want to drive this one away from its topic. My intention was to point to a use-case for using Go, and there might be numerous others.

E.g. the web server (and client!) framework that Go offers in its standard library is probably worth a mention. On the other hand, when it comes to UI stuff, Go comes pretty unprepared, especially with regard to the Kindle. In kindlepdfviewer, I started UI stuff from scratch (and others gladly helped a lot, so we have some pretty decent framework already). It's possible and it works, and replicating such a thing in Go would certainly be feasible, though some amount of work. But writing a UI framework probably is not something to start with when learning a new language like Go. Go really shines at the more bare-bone aspects, and I would be interested in what other people might use it for.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote