Thread: Audio Books
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #11
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
i can't stand audiobooks! it's too difficult for me to follow the characters. plus, listening to someone else read sucks half the excitement out of it. i feel i lose the freedom that reading provides. oh, and i don't like not being able to move at my own pace.

i do listen to radio shows on occasion. at least these provide different voices for different characters, along with sound effects and even music. it makes a big difference...
For me, it depends on the type of story. In some cases the printed book is less confusing.

An example is "The Time Traveller's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. The audiobook was excellent but because of the jumping around that takes place it did get confusing at times. I think the printed page would have been less confusing.

But sometimes the audiobook can provide a better experience for me than the printed page. An example is with the audiobook for the comic book series "Infinite Crisis." I have it as a seven-issue comic book miniseries, as a 371-page printed novel, and as a 13-CD audiobook (with a full cast and audio special effects). Of the three versions, the audiobook was the best. When listening to it, I was able to visualize it in my mind as if I was watching a movie (the voice actors were perfect for each role).
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote